Here is a check list of typos that may be hidden in your document/brochure/rack card/divine design that need eliminating before going to print. Don’t be dazzled by the stylish design, miss typos and they will multiply by the 1,000s when it is printed.
Typos and errors that can be found hiding:
- phone numbers
- website address
- email address
- postal address
- possesive noun or plural noun – should it be ‘s or s’ or just s
- consistency with lowercase/capital letters and full stops in your bullet point lists
- spelling – missing letters
- spelling – look for correct spelling of incorrect words that the spell check would miss, e.g. you may have used the word tables where you meant to use tablets
- spelling mistakes in images
- check figures and maths calculations
- colour and size consistency with headings and body text
- check you have permission to use photos (copyright and/or permission from any people featured in the image)
- unfinished sentences
Efficient typo spotting requires teamwork so as well as checking yourself, we recommend you ask one or two people with “fresh eyes” who have not previously seen the design to also proof read for you.
Have fun capturing the critters!